History of The Kailua Racquet Club
The Kailua Racquet Club was originally established by 8 men in 1938. Each put up $2,750 to purchase 7.5 acres of fee simple land. The original membership consisted of 20 men. Initiation fees were $50 and monthly dues were $5.00.
The club was located in a forest of trees, far from any neighbors, and designed as a private hideaway to spend weekends with family and friends. They built a small club house, kitchen, patio for dining, and a bath house. The members dug out a swimming pool which is still being used today. Facilities included one tennis court and a volleyball court. In 1952, the owners decided to incorporate the club and open the membership to the community. Membership was limited to 50. Initiation fee, including a stock certificate, was just $50 and you didn’t have to pay it all at once!
Some years later, the corporation decided to buy the land from the 8 original owners and this was the start of many improvements to come. In 1961 membership was opened to women. Approximately 3 acres of the land was sold in 1964 to provide for improvements, leaving a little over 4 acres for the club as it now stands. In 1976 the original club house was completely torn down and a new one was built.
Today, in certain circles, the Kailua Racquet Club is known as the best tennis club this side of the Mississippi.